- Daily dose of Vitamin D3 at 2,000 IUs for toddler, 4,000 IUs for me (that's actually a modest amount to take when sick). For baby E I would just puncture the gel tab and squeeze it in with her syrup/honey.
- Echinacea & Goldenseal whole plant supplement. I just took the capsule, but for my toddler I opened the capsule and emptied 1/3 the contents into a 1/2 teaspoon of honey and mixed it.
- The remedy that I think had the most punch specifically for the chest cough is two cloves of lightly boiled garlic (if you're making it for a baby, about 1 minute, better raw for adults), with one tablespoon raw honey, and one table spoon fresh squeezed lemon juice. This amount was enough for the two of us. Bonus: the baby loved it. Just make sure not to give honey to infants under one.
- Honey Gardens Elderberry Syrup: at the recommendation of our holistic pediatrician, we also gave her this for general immune system support.
- Boiron Children's Chestal Honey Cough Syrup: I can't say this was as good as garlic with honey and lemon, but it works well when you get the first symptoms, not so much for us in our case.
- Humidifier in our bedroom.
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
This post was written by:
Anastasia is a mom of two who loves to spend time with her family, travel, homeschool, read, and run her photography business. She is a life-long learner and small business owner who loves to share her parenting experiences with others. She resides with her family north of Boston.