- Baking Soda: My most trusted cleaning helper, not sure what I would do without it! It scrubs my stainless cookware, cleans tea and coffee cups, makes the sink shine, cleans the glass cooktop and oven. Keeps odors in the fridge and freezer to a minimum. You can also dilute it with water, add a few tea tree oil drops, and use as an all purpose cleaner. Sprinkle on carpet messed and then vacuum it up to clean (warning, you need a good vacuum cleaner, our 30 year old central vac couldn't handle it).
- Borax: I love how powerfully Borax cleans everything in the bathroom without any stink. I am sure that many 'natural cleaning' companies use Borax (and baking soda) as a base for their products. It makes my toilet bowl, sink, and tub sparkle. I even use it on the stainless faucets to get all the water stains off and I use it dry on the bathroom mirrors - leaves no streaks! It is absolutely fabulous on soap scum and water stains. I've been meaning to add it to my laundry as well to get cleaner sheets and towels and aid in removing stains. It has also gotten rid of ants inside the house on one occasion (mixed with sugar and boiled). So no, it isn't for eating, but it doesn't leave harmful compounds in your air either.
- Seventh Generation: Out of all SG products I mostly just use the dish washing liquid and multi-surface cleaner. It is convenient, readily available in stores, and has mostly OK ingredients.
- Cloth & Rags: I've dumped my sponges for good reason. The bacteria that grows in them is nearly impossible to kill and get rid off. Since we do not use a microwave or dishwasher, I have no way to disinfect them. Instead I use a bamboo dishcloth that can be easily tossed in the wash with kitchen towels and is biodegradable once I'm done with it. I also use microfiber cloths for dusting and general cleaning.
- Charlie's Soap: For tough stains and laundry I really like Charlie's Soap. Their All-Purpose Cleaner has helped me with stains on several occasions, both on clothing and surfaces. I use the powder detergent on a regular basis with cloth diapers and do not have any build-up issues. I'm running out of my review sample so I'm definitely buying more considering it is such a great deal. The 80 load bag has lasted me seven months!
Wednesday, December 29, 2010
This post was written by:
Anastasia is a mom of two who loves to spend time with her family, travel, homeschool, read, and run her photography business. She is a life-long learner and small business owner who loves to share her parenting experiences with others. She resides with her family north of Boston.