At just 4 years old, she quickly learned how to use the software on her own. Yep, kids these days - they are so technologically savvy. I just type in the URL for her and she can type her name and login herself. We love the interface layout that makes it really easy to navigate. There is a 'home base' that the child always comes back to which is called the Club House (top image). From there, the child can navigate either toward a lesson, vocabulary, or games. I love being able to log into the control panel and see all of her statistics for lessons, to control how many games I want to allow per week, and other details.
The biggest motivation for Baby E was the coins that one accumulates each time one completes a lesson. She would check it obsessively after each lesson and got so excited when the sacks and treasure chests of coins started accumulating. Bonus, she is also learning numbers while we're at it!
We are also big fans of the games which are clearly not just an afterthought, but they reinforce what the child is learning in a fun way. I really like that there is only a limited number of times one can play each day - since we all know kids aren't very good at self control!
It is harder for her to read in English, but she is progressively getting there at her own pace. I think the key to literacy and to fostering the love of reading, is not to push them if they are resisting - it simply means they are not ready. You will know when they are ready and eager. I just love that the systematic phonetic approach transcends language barriers and makes sense in the little mind of a four year old. I can imagine this would be even more effective with 6-8 year olds native English speakers who have a greater capacity for understanding the presented material.
- Online access to the full version of Discovery Online software for one year (renewal price for an additional year is $50/year)
- 63 interactive lessons teach students the 42 Sounds of the Alphabet, Five Phonetic Skills, and Two Decoding Skills.
- 22 Most Common Words lessons give practice with high-frequency words that are included in 65 percent of our daily reading and writing (e.g., the, it, a, and).
- 13 Reference Lessons aligned to requirements of the Common Core State Standards
- Built-in assessments ensure proficiency after each lesson, chapter, and comprehension exercise.
- The Vocabulary Word Wall allows students to practice decoding skills while building their vocabularies.
- 64 colorful and age-appropriate stories help students transfer decoding skills to connected text.
- Six fun and engaging games can be accessed with the coins students earn in the lessons, vocabulary section, and reading passages.
- The Administration System allows parents to review assessment data, generate customizable reports, set student options, and receive notifications about student progress.